POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : #read Annoyance : Re: #read Annoyance Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:27:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #read Annoyance
From: m1j
Date: 8 Jan 2004 14:55:01
Message: <web.3ffdb4441a5e445c4e1f4eb10@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>In article <3ffd8bc0[at]news.povray.org> , "Hugo Asm" <hua### [at] post3teledk>
>wrote:
>
>> I think it had something to do with platform-independancy, so it wouldn't
>> work.
>
>No, it has nothing to do with that at all.
>
>It is simply the way read is designed to be easy to use by the average user
>(as it detects the data type and so on).  POV-Ray is a ray-tracer after all,
>not a general purpose scripting language.
>
>    Thorsten

>Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
>e-mail: tho### [at] trfde
>
>Visit POV-Ray on the web: http://mac.povray.org

POVRay might just be a raytracer but the SDL is a specialized scripting
language directly for the use in 3D graphics. Why else would it include any
programming capability?

It is nice to know the aim was for ease of use but it would still be nice to
be able to use data generated in other programs directly in POVRay with out
having to convert lots of files outside of POVRay. What I was trying to do
was read an OBJ file and build a mesh2 object during render time. This
would give me direct access to the vertices with out having to spend the
time converting.

But alas it seems this is not to be. It must be too far outside the intent
of POVRay.